Updated August 2018
Holding successful track and field meets and running a club for active young athletes requires significant help from volunteers. To support the programs, the Spartans requires each member or their parent to volunteer the equivalent of:
– three shifts over the course of the training year (September to August) for full-year memberships
– one shift over the course of the summer season (April to August) for summer monthly memberships
One shift = 4-5 hours
Two shifts = 5+ hours
Volunteering can include one or more of the following:
- Volunteer and help at track meets (approximately 4-5 hours per shift – no experience required). There are track meets in the Indoor Season (December to January) as well as in the Outdoor Season (May – July). Last minute volunteering at meets counts as well – make sure to email the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org so these hours are recorded
- Volunteer at fundraising events such as casinos and bingos.Bingos occur on average once a month and casinos approximately every 18 months. These funds cover a significant portion of the club’s expenses including supporting facility fees, coaches, equipment including hurdles, blocks, etc. and administration. Working bingos and casinos also results in monies being transferred into an Athlete’s account for training, competition and meet travel expenses. See Bingo Policy and Bingo Schedule. The amount of money for a casino shift will be communicated by email in the staffing request sent by our Volunteer Coordinator. Volunteering at a Bingo counts as 1 shift (approx. 5 hours). Volunteering at the Casino counts as 2 shifts.
- Volunteer for a position on the club’s Board of Directors
- Volunteer and help with media capturing our athletes during meets (all equipment and training will be provided prior the meet); check out our media section (Photo and video section)
- Volunteer as a chaperone during the out of town meets and track camps
- Coordinate an event or events such as Summer Camps, Athlete Workshops or a summer BBQ for athletes
- Other volunteering opportunities as deemed appropriate by the board – email email@example.com to ensure this is captured and counted towards the Volunteering Commitment
Volunteer Commitment Deposit
In October, each full-year membership athlete must pay a one-time Volunteer Commitment Deposit (VCD) of $200. This is a refundable amount that is returned upon withdrawal from the club if volunteer commitments are fulfilled. If at the end of each training year (August) the volunteer commitments are not fulfilled, the athlete will have to pay another VCD of $200 in October to continue to be a member of the Spartans.
Summer monthly memberships will have to pay a VCD of $50 due at registration for the outdoor season. The amount is returned upon withdrawal from the club provided volunteer commitments are met, otherwise it is kept and another VCD will be charged at the next season the athlete participates in the club.
Any questions on volunteering should be directed to the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org