- To give encouragement and support to your child by being there when they compete.
- Ensure that your child is at practice on time.
- Ensure that your child attends meets he or she is entered in and arrives at the event location at least one hour before the start of his or her event.
- Participate in club fundraising activities (mandatory for Active athletes).
- Volunteering at local track meets when requested.
- Regularly check the club Website for news, events and other important club activities.
- Understand your role as a parent. Allow coaches to coach. Communicate your concerns at appropriate times. Be a parent rather than a coach. Let the motivation for doing athletics come from them, rather than you.
- Discuss with your child's coach antcipated time away from practices and meets (including commitment to other sport), vacation time, etc. Workouts follow a specific cycle and loading. Deviating from this plan can negate some of the hard work your child has put in.
- Attend the Annual General Meeting and Awards Banquet.
How else can I get Involved:
- Take photographs of your child and other Spartans athletes. We use photographs for our Awards Banquet slide presentation, website, news and other promotional material. The media release provided (or not provided) by each parent will dictate how photographs of their child are used.
- Become a member of the board of directors or assist one of our board members with a project. We welcome new board members and whatever amount of time you are able to contribute is greatly appreciated by your child, the Spartans' board and the other members.
- Become an Official. With many of our sport's officials retiring we are facing the very real possibility of being unable to host local meets due to a lack of accredited officials. Level 1 Accreditation involves a 1 day course and 8 hours of officiating. Please contact a board member if you are interested in becoming a track official.
You have been asking
- Can my child try out to see if he or she will like track and field?
- How do I register my child with the Spartans?
- How do I know which Group to register my child for?
- My child is registered, now what do I do?
- Which events will my child participate in?
- What type of shoes (spikes, throwing shoes...) does my child need and where do I buy them?
- How do I sign up my child for a meet?
- It is my child's first track meet (and mine too), what does he or she need to do?
- My child has two events scheduled at the same time in the meet, what does he do?
- My child plays another sport. How will this affect his or her track and field participation / performance?