Scholarships Available to all Full Year Calgary Spartans Athletes
The Spartans are proud of their athletes; many of whom have been with the Club for many years. Some start as young athletes in the Athlete Development program, graduating up into the Senior program, while others join along the way. Young athletes who have the drive to succeed on the track are also often those who excel in school and continue their education into university, college or technical institutes.
The Spartans support their athletes on and off the track. The Spartans have therefore instituted a Scholarship program to assist their athletes with continuing their training through their post-secondary education.
A Scholarship Committee, made up of members from the board of directors, reviews applications and determines the scholarships granted. Scholarship criteria and determination of award amounts are described below and scholarships are presented at the Spartans annual Awards Banquet and Annual General Meeting, held in November.
- The athlete must be registered for the upcoming year.
- The athlete must be registered as a student at a post-secondary institution for the upcoming year.
- The athlete must be in good standing with the Club.
- An application must have been received (hard copy or electronically) by the Registrar (email@example.com) between August 1 and October 31stof each year.
The amount awarded to each athlete is determined by a points system with award amounts ranging from $100 to $1,000 per athlete. Points are awarded to each applicant in five areas:
- Club involvement and longevity– a subjective rating determined by the Scholarship Committee
- Athletic Performance
- Provincial Ranking (Athletics Alberta age class), not High School provincials:
The award is credited to the Athlete’s account and may be used for registration fees, training, travel and meet fees.
For all new inquiries, assistance with our programs selection and athlete(s) orientation please contact the Registrar, see Contacts page.